Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Texas Tuesday December 7, 2010

Hello everybody!  It seems like forever since we've had a Texas Tuesday come around, but I guess it's because of the hustle and bustle of the holidays being upon us.  I was glad to make it through Thanksgiving before starting to concentrate on Christmas. So much to do, so little time. But I love these posts - they keep my creative spirit alive and well and that makes me challenge myself to do more and better.  Thank you all for being my compadres in this great tradition we've started. 



I've been thinking that we Texans never get to see much fall color unless we take a drive to Lost Maples.  Around here we have cedar, live oak, and Spanish oaks in the majority, with an occasional madrone or redbud.  The cedars and oaks never seem to put on a show, but ever so often, the Spanish oaks will pull out all the stops and provide us with some decent fall colors to admire along the hills.  They seem to hide all their glory until the last minute, then when you least expect it they pop out in beautiful gold and burnt orange and an occasional red.  Luckily this is one of those times. 

My card today is my own interpretation of our Texas fall colors.  I selected a Bazzill card base in a sort of beige tone, then decorated it with a rosette of a orange patterned cardstock surrounded by leaves that resemble our fall foliage.  Since Christmas is right around the proverbial corner, I selected "believe" as my sentiment, stamped in Memento Potter's Clay.  Simple, easy, and a fun reminder of what Fall is like in the Hill Country. 

I almost decided not to close this post on such a somber note, but I wanted to remind you that today is the 59th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor.  I was lucky to have been able to visit the magnificent island of Oahu a few years ago and one of the must-sees on my list was the Arizona Memorial. The memorial has fascinated me since childhood.  I was awestruck by the serene calm that exists there now as I thought about all of the souls that were lost on that long ago day.  Evidence of the attack can still be seen and the great ship still weeps oil.  Seeing floral tributes strewn on the water brought tears.  Please take a moment today to remember our brave fighting forces of yesteryear and those who serve today. 

Thanks for stopping by. 

5 comments:

  1. A beautiful card. It does remind me of our fall colors! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice card and I love all the fall pics you shared!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your card is so gorgeous! And we do have some pretty decent fall color this year, don't we? I love your photos!

    ReplyDelete